P-2 Visas



8 CFR § 214.2(p) Petitions for Temporary Nonimmigrants Employees
The P-2 classification to foreigners coming to the U.S. temporarily to perform as an artist or entertainer, individually or as part of a group, who will perform under a reciprocal exchange program between an organization in the United States and an organization in another country. Their qualified dependents will get P-4 status and cannot work, but may attend school or college.
It is given initially for no more than 1 year and only to an artist coming under a government recognized reciprocal exchange program who possesses skills comparable to those of the US artists and entertainers taking part in the program outside the US.


Who can File and What to File
Any qualified US Employer or Agent can file Form I-129 including the following supporting documentation as madatory initial evidence:

  • A written consultation from an appropriate labor organization

  • Copy of the formal reciprocal exchange agreement between the sponsoring U.S. organization(s) and the organization(s) in a foreign country which will receive the United States artist or entertainer

  • Statement from the sponsoring organization describing the reciprocal exchange of United States artists or entertainers as it relates to the specific petition for which classification is sought

  • Evidence that you and the U.S. artist or entertainer subject to the reciprocal exchange agreement are artists with comparable skills and that the terms and conditions of employment are similar

  • Evidence that an appropriate labor organization in the United States was involved in negotiating, or has concurred with, the reciprocal exchange of U.S. and foreign artists or entertainers.

  • If the events or performances will take place in multiple areas, an itinerary listing the dates and locations of the events must be submitted.
    Once the visa petition is approved, USCIS will send it to a U.S. embassy or consulate for the beneficiary to complete the visa application process.

Essential Support Personnel are Also Eligible for P-2 Status
Essential Support Personnel who are an integral part of the performance of a P-2 artist or performer, performing support services that cannot be readily performed by a U.S. worker; this may include stagehands, trainers, or those persons having critical knowledge of the specific services to be performed. A separate Form I-129 application must be filed.



Mandatory Evidence

  • A consultation from an from an appropriate labor organization with expertise in the area of the support person’s skill

  • A statement describing the prior and current essentiality, critical skills, and experience of the beneficiary with the P-2 beneficiary and
  • A copy of a written contract between the employer and the support person or a summary of the terms of the oral agreement

Request more Information

Reform Tracker