Cover letter describing the enterprise and the beneficiary. This letter should address all the requirements to show:


  • that the requisite treaty exists;
  • that the individual and/or business possesses the nationality of the treaty country;
  • that the activities constitute trade within the meaning of the Immigration and Nationality Act, section 101 (a) (15) (E);
  • that the trade is substantial;
  • that the trade is principally between the United States and the treaty country;
  • that the applicant, if an employee, is an executive/supervisory position or possesses skills essential to the firm’s operation in the United States; and
  • that the applicant intends to depart the United States when the E-1 status terminates ( 3, 4 and 5 in some detail.


  • Confirmation sheet of the DS-160 and the DS-156E (PDF – 234kb)(parts 1, 2, and 3). Must complete the online electronic visa application form DS-160 and submit with their application the confirmation sheet.   Iinclude an e-mail address in DS-156.




  • Completed, dated, and signed
  • Credit Card Payment Form for payment of application fee ($270.00).
  •  Please submit a letter of agreement between the investor and the representative signed by both parties and include contact e-mail address and phone number;
  • If the applicant is an employee, include here a job letter from the company describing the business;
  • the job the applicant will do; and
  • his or her qualifications for that job.




  • A color photocopy of the bio data page of the principal applicant’s passport and similar copies of any US visas, US entry/exit stamps, and I-94′s.
  • A copy of any changes or extensions of status granted by USCIS (Form I-797).
  • Evidence of the applicant’s ongoing residency abroad (including, as appropriate, a copy of the current lease or mortgage for the applicant’s primary residence in abroad; the applicant’s most recent pay stub; the most recent school transcript for each child between the ages of 5 and 18 inclusive).
  • A resume or curriculum vitae of the principal applicant.
  • Signed statement of intent to depart the US upon termination of status.




  • Articles of Incorporation (for corporations) or Organization (for LLC’s) for US business.
  • Share certificates and/or operating agreement (if applicable) to verify ownership.
  • If you have a large company with several owners or subsidiaries or if the chain of ownership includes intermediary entities, please also submit the following:
    • An organizational chart of the full ownership structure;
    • Legal evidence of instances of ownership within that chain;
    • Color photocopies of the bio data pages of the passports of the owners of the ultimate parent company.
  • If the investor is a public company with many shareholders, none of whom owns more than 50%, please also include:
    • A copy of the most recent Annual Report;
    • The Companies House Report;
    • An affidavit signed by the appropriate corporate official asserting that the company is traded exclusively on the London Stock Exchange;
    • A copy of the most recent trading information on the stock.




  • Provide a table listing every qualifying transaction of international trade between the treaty countries during the last calendar year. If there is a US entity with separate legal status (such as an incorporated company or a LLC), all figures should refer to its trade. Otherwise, consider the trade of the foreign company. This table should include the date, the invoice number, and the dollar value of the transaction. Show in a prominent place the total number and value of these transactions.
  • Provide copies of all the invoices summarized in the table.
  • Provide copies of all air bills or shipping invoices proving that the goods or services moved from one country to the other.
  • Calculate the percentage of international trade between the US-foreign country trade documented above. This is not the percentage of total trade but the percentage of total international trade undertaken by the treaty investor business.
  • Provide the most recent US tax returns (for a US entity) or annual report (for a Foreign entity). US tax forms must be copies of the signed and dated forms actually submitted to the IRS.

Request more Information

Reform Tracker